From winter blues to hot new hues, Amado Salon has the latest tools to revitalize your tresses — just in time for spring. “This season is all about renewal,” says creative director Robert Amado, a veteran in the industry with close to 15 years of experience.
Since opening Amado Salon four years ago, the colour expert has become a fixture in Kleinburg’s hair scene, receiving praise from clients that keep going back to the award-winning salon. And it’s easy to see why.
The full-service parlour boasts a bevy of personalized options, from colour and highlights, precision-cut styles and glossy treatments for an everyday look or any special occasion. Keratin and shea butter hair therapy and organic hair care products will restore your hair’s lustrous glow, as a spectrum of professional hair dye replenishes and enriches. Complementing every type of lifestyle with eco-friendly, ammonia-free colours from Nectaya or Elumen’s creative colours, Amado Salon holds the key to gorgeous hair. “If there’s ever a time to get a fresh new look,” says Amado, “it’s now.”
1. The orange extract and gentle micro beads in Clarins’ One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser give bright results
2. With sunny days ahead, Jergens 3 Days to Glow Moisturizer enhances your skin with natural-looking colour in no time
3. Darphin’s Youthful Radiance Camellia mask boosts radiance, plumps lines and firms your complexion with a deliciously rich texture
4. Combining cellulite-blasting ingredients for visible, lasting results, Biotherm’s Celluli Eraser slimming gel replaces unsightly dimples with a firm, toned physique
5. Hung over with a pain in your neck? BareMinerals Naturally Luminous Extra Firming Neck Cream lifts lax skin as it moisturizes against environmental stressors
6. Like a blooming bouquet of creamy-pink flowers, L’Occitane’s Magnolia & Mûre Body Lotion quenches dry skin with a tender, sexy scent
7. Who says you can’t work while you sleep. Active ingredients in The Youth As We Know It Anti-Aging Night Cream by Bliss iron out wrinkly nightmares for a bright, youthful complexion
1. Zara’s printed scarves will add a splash of colour to any conventional outfit. www.zara.com
2. Boring mugs not your cup of tea? Anthropologie serves up a hot assortment of sippers and saucers. www.anthropologie.com
3. Slip into Stephan Caras and never look back. This Greek-Australian designer can turn any woman into a modern-day goddess. www.stephancaras.com
4. Leave the clutch behind and go big with a cut-work bag that means business. www.zara.com
5. Get your Great Gatsby glam on with Zara’s vintage-inspired Maxi Pearl necklace. www.zara.com
6. Forget the cloth, let your accessories do the colour blocking for you with this geometric necklace. www.anthropologie.com
7. Fashion house Joe Fresh’s forte is affordable style. For just $8 why wouldn’t you want this? www.joefresh.com
8. Any worldly bookworm would cross the ocean for The New York Times 36 Hours: 125 Weekends in Europe. Luckily, it’s sold at your local Anthropologie. www.anthropologie.com
9. This staple ace skirt will take you from work to play all in one day. www.joefresh.com
10. The sandal of the summer: chunky, strappy and printed. Zara’s Stretch Combination Print Sandals are just the trick. www.zara.com
11. Stay grounded in Zara’s Vamp Glitter Sandal. www.zara.com
1. LEAF IT TO ME Channel your inner mermaid goddess with this trio of Gold Leaf, Black Karat and Emerald baked eyeshadows.
2. BLUE CRUSH Ride the wave with a pop of turquoise. Sweep this kohl eyeliner along your waterline and pair with a soft matte grey eye.
3. THE SKINNY ON CHUBBY Nude is all the rage this season, and that’s where Curviest Caramel comes in. This new shade leaves a nude pink pout that stays put.
Tease the season for amped-up eyes and angelic complexions. Makeup artist Rita Stirpe shows us how.
1. Express your eyes with a seductive stare using Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner by L’Oréal
2. Kiss your cupid’s bow with a stroke of MAC’s Subculture lip liner
3. Blend Lise Watier’s Couleur Folle Mineral Loose Powder Eyeshadow in Folie D’or for a star-studded wink
4. Create a sultry smokescreen with the Black Pearl Eye Palette from Bobbi Brown
Recently spotted at the Toronto International Film Festival to promote her new film Anna Karenina, actress Keira Knightley is the epitome of glamour. Her bold eyebrows and vibrant lips are right on trend this season. Professional makeup artist Rita Stirpe suggests the following products to achieve Knightley’s look:
1. Highlight your cheekbones and create a subtle glow with Benefit’s Dallas bronzer. www.sephora.com
2. This limited edition Lipglass in “Restless” can be worn over lipstick for long-lasting shine. www.maccosmetics.com
3. Recreate Knightley’s smouldering eyes with the 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion. www.urbandecay.com
4. Red lips exude confidence and complement Knightley’s dark features. Try MAC’s Mattene Lipstick in Rouge Eden. Read more
Josie Maran Luxury Bear Naked Wipes
Take care of your sun-drenched skin with these natural makeup removing wipes. A blend of aloe vera, chamomile, cucumber, and vitamin E will soothe and revitalize your complexion. www.sephora.com
Sephora Makeup Bag
This sexy faux-snakeskin makeup bag is perfect for all of your fall essentials. Bold, stylish and compact, it’s your style sidekick this fall. www.sephora.com
A room filled with luxurious seating, marbled floors and contemporary lighting creates the feel of walking into an elegant hotel. At Nails @Anthony’s, a mini getaway unravels for those that sink into its sumptuous chairs for spa treatments. Dazzling aromas alert your senses to natural ingredients like lemon, pomegranate, tangerine, chocolate and lavender. While the scents transport you to a tropical island, the atmosphere will bring you to the Hollywood Hills with décor inspired by the glamorous Marilyn Monroe.
Twenty years in the business produces professionals who not only know the industry, but are familiar with the needs
of their clientele. “We are educated and we know what we’re doing,” says Anthony Nguyen, owner of the Woodbridge spa. Professionalism, unique homemade spa recipes and dedication to cleanliness are hallmarks of the nail boutique, Read more
Time isn’t the only thing that ages and changes your skin. The sun is a major culprit when it comes to fine lines, wrinkles and altered pigmentation. “A person should look for an SPF of at least 30 and it should say broad spectrum, which means that it covers UVA, as well as UVB radiation,” says dermatologist Cheryl Rosen, national director of the Canadian Dermatology Association’s sun awareness program. “They can both damage DNA and they can both cause skin cancer.” The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends reapplying sunscreen every two hours, which is especially important during long periods of sun exposure. On how to prevent sunspots, Dr. Rosen suggests playing it safe. “Wear a hat, seek shade, and play your tennis game at nine in the morning instead of noon.”
Whether it’s in the form of a clutch, high heel shoe or lipstick, colour is on our minds this season. “Take cues from the runway and opt for bright makeup products that will make your features pop,” says makeup artist Rita Stirpe. With a swipe of coral lipstick and a coat of mascara, you will create a beach-ready look that complements your summer glow. For those of you who want to highlight your pretty peepers, don’t be afraid to experiment with sea blue eye shadows for your next date night. Complete your playful look with a mani and pedi that screams summer.